Our oven is made from natural clay bricks, cured at 900C in a kiln
Our brick oven is wood fired! Impart wood flavor to your food.
Taste amazing pizza, bread, roasts and other dishes cooked to perfection!
A real brick oven, capisce? Like my grandmother used to have! For pizza, bread, lasagnas, slow roasts, calzones, focaccias + everything your house oven can do!
Discover Portuguese brick oven building and cooking traditions. Our ovens are not just from another continent - they are from another time!
- The Design. Wood fired brick ovens are as old as Portugal itself. People have cooked in them for centuries passing an oven from generation to generation. Yet amazingly the oven has not changed a lot! Why? Because it was perfect from the start! The natural terracotta kiln-fired bricks, spherical dome, mineral insulation, clay floor, and high temperatures combine to deliver tastes which are not easy to be pulled away from. The design of traditional Portuguese brick ovens allows for perfect heat distribution inside the cooking vault because if its multi-faceted inner surface: bricks radiate heat inside the oven at every possible angle, there are no cold spots! The higher dome of the oven allows for intense yet not damaging heat, perfect for bread!
- The Food. Our brick oven delivers a remarkable array of dishes: slow roasts, fish, paellas, stews, rice, vegetable, and of course bread and pizza. Originally the oven was not intended for pizza simply because pizza was not on a diet of a typical Braganza or Coimbra village family. However as time passed it was discovered that these Portuguese heat machines bake amazing crusty focaccias and pizzas in just 2 minutes! And now that the brick oven has given way to trendy Whirlpools and Philips as primary house cookers breads, pizzas, and slow roasts from the brick oven have become the most popular items on the wood fired menu.
- The Oven. So what is this new outdoor cooking trend? A Portuguese brick oven is 100% hand made. First a cement base is poured and then the dome is build from natural kiln-fired rounded clay bricks. It takes days to finish even one oven. Care is taken to make the dome shape perfect for inside heat radiation. When the dome is finished and chimney added the floor is covered with natural yellow sand and terracotta tiles over it- this is where the food goes! Most ovens by other manufacturers are then simply covered with cement. However, not ours!! We insulate our ovens with 6 cm thick rock wool! The effect of this is much longer heat retention, reduced exterior temperature - you can comfortable keep your hand on the oven even when the fire is raging inside, and much less cracking. Rock wool is then overlaid with chicken wire and high quality refractory cement, smoothed and painted. The oven is fully finished and can remain as is. However if you wish you can easily refinish it by applying stucco, tiles, stone veneer, brick around it, or just paint it. The oven comes with "Ultrafire" kit to patch possible exterior cracks. Hairline cracks are normal but minimal with this oven, they present no danger to the oven itself or to your reputation as an expert pizza baker.
- The Size. Our typical brick oven weights approx. 550 kg - approx. 1200 lb. The high weight of the oven creates the necessary thermal mass for heat to be absorbed and stored in the oven vault, and then slowly released back inside. Brick ovens are never light. The exterior size of base is 39.3"x39.3", interior diameter is approx. 30-31", interior height approx. 20", exterior height 30", door is 14" wide.
- The Difference. The difference between our insulated brick ovens and non-insulated ovens by other producers is BIG: B-I-G. Our oven keeps heat much longer. The Portuguese tradition is to gather the family on Sunday around the brick oven, finish the dinner and place the left-overs back into the oven to keep the food warm until evening. You can expect our ovens to retain heat even overnight, depending on outside temperature. And very importantly: our ovens are ready to go! You don't have to cover them with more bricks, vermiculite, stucco or mortar, they are meant to remain as is.
- The Use. Portuguese brick ovens easily reach 900F and above for crusty pies in 90 seconds. Beyond this the higher Portuguese dome assures uniform and amazing bread baking. You can also do mouth watering rotisseries inside the oven - chicken, turkey, etc. And of course every other dish you can think of.
- The Love. Our ovens were quickly recognized for their warmth, taste, and ambience and found thousands of loving homes from Canada to Australia. Not to mention Spain and Portugal where a wood fired brick oven can be seen in every city and town. Ask a happy owner and he will tell you: it's not just the oven! It's part of home, part of week-end, part of beers with friends, part of a backyard party, part of Saturday family dinners, part of life.